I’m at WordCamp Europe in Sofia - taking rough notes on some of the talks
Noel Tock: Beyond the code
Awesome sketchnotes by @studionetting
- Getting stuck in cycles of task completion - head down - “daily execution”.
- This time next year wp will be 1/5 of the internet.
- Freelancers, professionals - will be unable to keep up with the rate of demand
- Most WP shops: 1-2 years - achieve saturation: then it’s head down - spending time in github, hipchat etc.
- Coming out of a conference inspired, but 2 days later, back in the grind
- Write down the things you’re interested in: Taking an inventory
- What’s important for your self development?
- Point at which you see an article isn’t often the point at which you’re able to read it - soln: instapaper etc.
- Task consolodation. Trello board columns:
- future: Interested but not ready to commit time
- Am prepared to invest time
- Working on now
- This week - stuff that’s been done
‘Epics’ - Executing on one significant big-picture thing a day
- Rescuetime - tracks time on computer: categorises activities e.g. code, reading
- Assign a productivity value to different kinds of activity
- Redefine this in order to gameify optimising the headline productivity value
- Summary: being reactive vs actively pursuing opportunities and ideas